March 8, 2008

Working for the weekend?

Who knew paperwork could be so fun?

I work in the church office every Thursday for Joel, who's pretty freaking awesome. Basically I do paperwork for an hour or so. I separate, staple, and file check stubs and invoices. I know, terribly exciting. But the thing is, it really is exciting to me. I love doing it every week. Because at this point in my experiences at Elevation Church, I'm well aware that every single thing that happens during the week at the office adds up to make Sunday possible.

Early on in Visioneering, Andy Stanley talked about how simple, mundane things can seem way more interesting when attached to a bigger vision. At Elevation, the vision happens on Sunday [more specifically, since I'm sure anyone reading this hasn't heard it 1,000 times, it's: so that people far from God will be filled with life in Christ] and everything done during the week adds to the vision. When you care about the bigger picture, it makes the little elements of it that much more exciting. If I had the time and money for gas, I would go do busywork at Elevation every day. It's an amazing feeling to know that the little things everyone accomplishes during the week add up to the huge work of God that comes together on Sunday.

No comments: