March 20, 2008

Perfect Timing

One of my favorite things about looking at my past and things that have happened in my life is witnessing how God's timing is always good and perfect. Even when I can't figure it out at the time, looking back assures me that God is incredibly smart and will never be wrong.

The example I'm thinking of right now is in books. Through the past 4 or 5 books that I've read, I can look back and see how each one came at the perfect time. Whatever each book had to teach me taught it when I was perfectly positioned to receive the information.
The first two books I'm thinking of dealt with dating. They came about 3 months into a period in which I decided not to date. They came right about the time when I was falling back into that lonely, woe-is-me-I-am-not-loved period. They reassured me that I wasn't ready to date anyone anyways. They tore down my incorrect visions of dating and helped me fix my views on dating so that the next time I got there, I could be prepared to do it right.
The third book was "The Last Word and the Word After That." This is the book that helped me understand that my beliefs can not be what everyone else has told me to believe. It helped me work through things that I only believed because I was told to, and it helped me understand things I had never given thought to. I still find myself applying and working through the concepts in the book almost every day.
The next book was "Visioneering." I think if you read my blog at all, you've been able to see me work through this one. In all honesty, this book tore me up. I went into reading it with somewhat of an idea of God's vision for my life. I finished the book completely thrown off and screwed up about what God wants for the rest of my life. Not a clue. And I think that God used that book to show me that I was wrong. I think He used that book to tear down some walls. Walls that I thought I had been building correctly. I was wrong.
Right now I'm headed into "Captivating," and I already think it's phenomenal. I feel like this book is going to help me get ready for the next step God has planned for me to take. I feel like this will help me rebuild those walls so that they are correct. I think God has me on the edge of great things, and I'm so excited to have the resources to help me through.

It's amazing for me to look back and see how God put each of those books in my life at a perfect time. He knows exactly what I need and when I need it.
(Thanks Rob and Phillip for giving me those books).

No comments: