March 17, 2008

Bring Back That Loving Feeling

At our worship ministry dinner a couple weeks ago, one band member brought up an interesting concept. On Sunday mornings, the band (not so much the background vocalists, from my experience) can easily get bogged down with what needs to get done. I imagine it gets stressful. People get sick. People are tired. People get stressed. A lot needs to happen very early on a Sunday morning. After all of that, it's not always easy to have a heart for worship. Even with me, sometimes whatever has been going on during the week gets to me on Sundays. Sometimes we just don't feel like worshiping. So, from what I remember, this guy was saying that even on the mornings that he just doesn't feel like worshiping, if he makes himself go through the motions that he would normally do, his heart eventually falls into that place of worship for God.

So my problem is that I continually pray for God to put that feeling back in my heart. It's frustrating to walk around with this emptiness every other day. But what I realized is that I've been backwards. I've been praying for a feeling so that I would be inspired to get back into reading my Bible and really, truly praying about things and being intentional with my relationship with God. It has to be the other way around. I need to put in the effort first. I need to force myself to go through those motions that I would normally do, so that my heart will fall into that place of worship for God. And soon it won't be forcing myself; it'll be second nature.
I feel like I'm off to a good start considering the very first thing I did this morning was pick up my Bible and dive into Luke. I'm sure I'll blog later about what I've read if I can unpack it and figure it out.

No comments: