February 29, 2008

I don't even know...

I want today to be over.
I want to blog, but don't expect wonders tonight.

First, I have a question that I don't think will get answered here, but I'll try. In Luke 7:36-50, the story of the woman crying on Jesus' feet, wiping His feet with her hair and pouring expensive perfume on them is told. It says a Pharisee invited Him to his house, and then when Jesus goes to reprimand the Pharisee for condemning the woman, He calls him Simon. So my question is, is this Simon Peter? Or is this just a Pharisee named Simon?

Anyways,
I really like this story. The woman humbles herself completely before Jesus. She cries on His feet and wipes them with her own hair. And trust that His feet were filthy. The Pharisee recognizes her as a woman who has lived in sin and who isn't worthy to be in the room (the irony is that he was probably more disgusted that she would be in his house near him than he was concerned about Jesus), and he thinks "You know, if Jesus was who He's claimed to be, He would never let someone so unworthy touch even His feet." So Jesus tells a parable about two men owing another money. The man canceled both of their debts since neither was able to pay him back. The question was who of the two men would love the third more, and the answer was the one who owed more in the first place because he had a greater debt to pay.

There is a lot of hope in Luke. So far it's my favorite gospel. There's hope that whether we owe much or little, we are forgiven. (It kind of goes back to the posts Rob did about infinity and the idea that no matter how righteous you are or how unworthy you are, God is an equal distance from both. He is so much greater than us that our sins are minute in comparison). The best part is that there's hope for those who feel like they've done so much that they are unforgivable. The farther away you think you are from saving, the more grateful you will be when you realize that you are saved. I'm a huge fan of Luke.

And one last thing, I think I'm doing better on the whole going-to-God-first thing. I'm still struggling, but I've found myself praying more in the past couple of days and I've been catching myself when I don't go to Him first. Even if it's after the fact, I feel like it's progress. It's funny because if there ever was a week to really go to God first, it's been the past 7 days. God is working big and changing a lot of things. I'm interested in how the next month or so will go.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Nope, it wasn't Simon Peter. He was a fisherman, like his father.