February 26, 2008

Losing Sleep

A concept that I've been struggling with a lot in the past few months has been when an idea/movement/concept is so important to someone that "it keeps them up at night." I feel like a lot of people at Elevation church have these kinds of visions embedded so far in their personalities and every day movements that they are constantly losing sleep dreaming of how to make their strategies better. It took me a while to figure out if people meant this literally or figuratively, too. To me, it's both. I'm sure a lot of Elevators literally lose sleep to plans and strategies, but to some it has to just be an expression.
The reason I've been struggling with this is because I feel like I haven't committed to anything in my life that has kept me up at night. I really like the concept though. What got me really excited was finding an example of Jesus losing sleep over something really important to Him:

One of these days, Jesus went out to a mountainside to pray and spent the night praying to God. When morning came, He called His disciples to Him and chose twelve of them, whom He also designated apostles.
[Luke 6:12-13]

He spent the entire night praying over who would be the closest to Him in His ministry. He basically spent like 12 hours praying over His own directional staff. And I'm sure He spent entire nights praying over a lot of different things (oh, I don't know...like His own death?). So I'm wondering, when am I going to commit to something so strongly that I lose sleep over it? Maybe not an entire night. Maybe none at all. But when will I find a vision so captivating that it consumes most of my thoughts and dreams?

[Ironically enough, I should be sleeping right now]

1 comment:

Robert Summers said...

I can count two nights this week where I tried to sleep but couldn't because my mind wouldn't let me. It just wouldn't let go long enough to wind down. So for me, it's a literal thing where I just can't sleep because of it sometimes.