February 11, 2008

Emotionally Tied

"Before God can entrust you with the rewards that accompany success, you must be dependent. He brings you to that place by stretching and even straining your faith...So be encouraged. The agony you are experiencing is normal. The loneliness you feel is to be expected."

Thanks Andy Stanley.
There are a lot of things coming up in my life. I may only be a sophomore in college, but real life is quickly approaching. So to me, I feel like everything needs to start falling in place so I can really figure out God's vision for my life. With that said, I feel like there's a huge piece missing. But reading Visioneering (at least the above quote) and talking to certain friends reassures me that the separation I'm feeling from God is:
1. temporary, and
2. for a good reason.

Last night when I was freaking out (because what felt like the weight of 4 years of struggling through my faith and Christianity came crashing down on me all at once after a ridiculous adrenaline rush and a really long day), Rob said something that hit me and really encouraged me. While he was praying for me, he said that I was "emotionally tied" to God and that's why it's so painful for me to feel like I'm not as close to God as I can be. I know God built me with intense emotions that play a huge role in my decision-making and my general life. I know those emotions dictate the way I interact with people, but I guess I forget that that means I have the potential to seriously interact with God in a deeply emotional way. I think God has infinite qualities and characteristics and He put certain, different ones in each of us. These are the traits He's given me, and He's given them to me so that I can use them to reach back to Him. So now it's my job to figure out how to stop those emotions from overwhelming me (kind of like last night) so that I can use them to connect to God like I know He wants me to.

No comments: