February 5, 2008

We've Lost our Rights

One of the cooler concepts I've read about so far in Visioneering is the one where Andy Stanley says

"As Christians, we do not have a right to take our talents, abilities, experiences, opportunities, and education and run off in any direction we please. We lost that right at Calvary. But then, why would we dream of such a thing? God has a vision for your life. What could possibly be more fulfilling than that?"

God has given us all of these things, not for our own gain or benefit, but to serve Him. He paid the ultimate price in sending His son to die for us, and therefore, we are in debt to Him. He saved our lives. We owe Him our lives. This means that we are meant to use our lives the way He wants us to. So the vision He has for our lives is incredibly important. We can't just run around and do whatever we want with our careers, our marriages, our children, our lives. And this is really counterintuitive because we're selfish and we want to do what makes us happy or what gets us the most money or the most attention.

The best part is that He knows exactly what He wants from us. All we need to work on is searching for that and following through with it.
I'm confident that the past 2 weeks have been a huge jump for me and the narrowing down of my vision. I guarantee that the majority of my blogs in the next couple weeks will deal with vision and what that means and what mine is and how God is shaping me to find it. It's something that has become imperative out of nowhere, but God is reassuring me with people and events and resources to help guide me towards my future. And the future is a huge mix of excitement and anxiety. I'm so nervous for what the next months hold, specifically the summer. I want more than anything to stay here and continue learning from the staff and volunteers at Elevation and push through my doubts to really discover God's specific vision for my life. Just thinking about it makes me nervous, but I've got to remember that God already knows where I'll be and that's what matters.

Anyways, I really just like the concept that when Jesus died for us, we lost all of our rights to run rampant with any idea or ability we discover. They all come from Him, they all belong to Him, and they should all be used to serve Him.

No comments: