November 21, 2007

Tofurkey, anyone?

I have a problem with Thanksgiving, and I'm sure a lot of people would agree.
The concept is great, and it's a day that reminds you to step back and look at what you have and be thankful for it. My problem is that we usually forget how to be truly thankful every other day. I love the series we're in right now at Elevation. My favorite part of Sunday (and probably a top 5 moment in my history at this church so far) was when Pastor got us all really excited with a crowd participation activity!! Haha I love these. He told us to hold our right fist in the air and repeat after him and with every finger we released, we said: I...Should...Be...In...Hell. The reason it was so good was because everyone was excited, but by the end, they realized what they were saying. It's completely true. Want to understand gratitude? Wake up every morning and repeat that to yourself and remind yourself that if Jesus had not come to die for us, we would be in Hell and we deserve to be there, and it's only by the grace of God that we're not.

Anyways, that wasn't the point of this blog. I just enjoyed that a lot. My point is that even though we forget to be thankful in everyday things sometimes and use Thanksgiving as our one day to remember, I'm still going to use this day (tomorrow) to specifically acknowledge what I'm thankful for. I'll try to keep it short:

-I'm thankful for technology. I'm sitting here with a computer in front of me and another on my lap, transferring music at ridiculous speeds. It's amazing.
-I'm thankful for music. Music gets to me in this insane way. There is so much weight in it sometimes; so many memories packed in to one 3 minute song. It blows my mind.
-I'm thankful for the ridiculous people that fill my life with love every day. God has blessed me so abundantly with leaders and peers, friends and family, protection, guidance, everything.
-For kids. I am so in love with kids. I can't wait to have my own some day (far away). I love working with them now and helping them grow and understand the love of Jesus.
-For insanely, unnaturally warm weather, 2 weeks away from December.
-For my brother who is sitting next to me, playing video games and being his weird self. And for the rest of my family. Every time I come home, I'm reminded that I'm supposed to be a witness to them and I haven't done the best job of that.
-For the Bible. I love how much it teaches me when I take the time to get into it and listen to what God has to say to me through it.
-For Jesus, who died so that I would not be in hell right now.

Happy Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

michael k said...

its strange how we as a people seem to always look at the negative side of things. like if we go to a restaurant we are more likely going to talk about how bad it was as opposed to if it was good. But if a person made a list of all good and bad in their life the good will always outnumber the awful. God is so good to us. happy thanksgiving kelly.