November 12, 2007

One way, Jesus

I just got done watching the Hillsong Kids dvd, and I have to say it was amazing. I'm incredibly glad that Jennica let me borrow it (thank you!), and it completely gives a new outlook on what our vision within the kids' ministry at Elevation (or really anywhere) should be.
As soon as you start watching, you can see these kids are worshiping God. Yea, maybe not all of them understand, but there are so many of them that are sold out for Him already. It's one thing to know what you're supposed to do as a worship leader for kids. It's another thing completely to see someone do it so effectively that 5 year old kids are understanding that there is something so much bigger than them to live for.

We've been talking about vision and strategy for a long time now at Elevation, and some of us have been talking about e-kids, too. While we all know (as worship leaders, at least) that our goal is to tell the kids about Jesus and encourage them to worship, that's a really vague vision. If you go to "big church," on a regular basis, you constantly hear that our vision is "so that people far from God will be filled with life in Christ." I guess "people" includes children, but if that's the case, then that needs to be our vision for e-kids. If that's not the case, then we need a specific vision for the kids. Getting involved at Elevation means understanding what our vision is and working towards it. So what do you do when people are so focused on the vision of the actual church, that they forget that we should probably break it down a little bit.
We are told every week that our motions need to be big and we need to smile and enjoy what we're doing and we need to be really excited for the kids, but that's not really a specific vision. I think if there was a solid vision, thought out specifically for the kids' ministry (and maybe even as far as one for Quest and one for Motion, or however it could be broken down), there would be more people dedicated to this ministry.
I know all of this has to do with a lot of different factors that will most likely be changing as we continue to grow. It's not something I would say I'm worried about, but sometimes the lack of a written out vision seems to hinder our connection to the importance of what we're doing. Seeing the Hillsong dvd kind of opened my eyes to see that kids really can comprehend what's going on. There are always going to be kids who don't enjoy coming to church no matter what we do, but having every small group leader and worship leader and actor be on the same page could probably connect us and strengthen our strategies that are already at work.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Interesting. I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but for Quest, our little "line" is "exploring God". I think for Safari it is "Discovering God" and for Motion it is "Moving forward with God".

I'd pick Jessi or Heather's brain about more specifics. In our leadership meetings a few months ago we revisited this, I wish I could find my notes...

Jennica said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is inspiring how massive and incredible their children's ministry is. I completely agree with you about being united around one vision. We have one we just don't accurately communicate it. That will be something I work on as a whole. Thanks for pointing that out!