November 15, 2007

it's times like these you learn to live again

In the past month or two, I've really been noticing the growth and development of my friendships...obviously. It's comes up in almost any conversation or blog (sorry for being redundant), but it's because I'm in the middle of developing a family. I'm building friendships that are becoming my family as I spend more and more time away from home. They'll never replace my actual family, but they remind me that there is love for me wherever I turn.

Before college and Elevation, I've only ever really had two guys in my life that I could call my "brothers." They have loved me unconditionally for a couple of years now, but I never get to spend the time I want with them. So when I started getting more involved with Elevation, I realized that there are godly brothers waiting for me here, too, and I flipped out. They've been amazing thusfar, and I'm still really growing with them, even if I only see them once a week.

Girls are different. I can bond extremely easily with girls. I think this is a really good thing, but sometimes I think that takes away from the sincerity and the depth of developing real "sisters" in Christ. I mean, if you can just bond with anyone so quickly, where is the importance in a new, strong friendship? But last night I started to realize that there is a difference in being close with these girls and being sisters. Last night we had a really laid back small group, and basically all we did was run around the neighborhood, play on the playground, consider going to jail because of jumping a fence (kidding), perform Motion dances around picnic tables, and bond. And it was amazing. Being the 18-20 year old girls that we are, we're in a stage where it's really easy to be stressed out by life. We deal with work, school, money, family, friends, God, etc. I really believe that all of us (especially the girls last night: Lauren, Jennica, Michelle, Cat, Deni and myself) are in this position right now where we're changing, growing and generally standing on the edge of some huge movement of God in our lives. A lot of times, that's severely overwhelming. But last night was such a great experience for me: to see every girl let her guard down. We got a chance to just BE 19 year old girls who can act like 7 year old girls and laugh and fall down and be weird. It was so refreshing, and I honestly believe everyone walked away feeling a little bit less stressed out by life.

It's things and times like these that make me realize that these girls are more than just my friends that I see and talk to occasionally. We all enjoyed last night so much because we've been sharing our hearts and our stress in the past month of small group. We're growing as sisters because we're learning to deal with hard things together and we're learning to let go a little bit and be kids together.

One last thing. My personal winner for best quote (that I can actually remember) from the night goes to Ren:

"I think I would be depressed if I was an ant...I mean, where do they come from? Where are they going? Don't they know that they have like 50 ant miles to go before they can get anywhere?!"

3 comments:

Jennica said...

I have been seeing the same thing happen in my life. God has been creating so many awesome relationships lately. However it's opposite for me when it comes to girls. I have always had trouble trusting them. I was very apprehensive about leading a small group for that reason. But it has been such a privilege to get to know all of you and you girls have truly become my sisters in Christ. Wednesday night was truly one of the best nights I have had in quite a long time. I am so blessed to have all of you in my life.

Shelly said...

aw I loved loved that post! and I can totally relate too. I mean, sometimes it's easier to not work really hard to make that lasting sisters-in-christ-deep-bond with girls since it's for me sometimes a given that I will be friends with them easily. but wednesday night it was so amazing to have everyone there, and we could just be ourselves. no barriers or trying to impress eachother, but just a group of girls that love one another and Jesus. it was awesome. I love you guys so much :D and thanks for posting that kelly. see you sunday <3

Deni said...

It was a wonderfully fun night. I loved just acting like a kid and for the night, not worrying about anything else.

I loved it :)