November 19, 2007

I'm trying to make you sing

Through all of this excitement in growth and progression, you’d think a little inspiration would show up, too.

I write.
Through the 06-07 school year, I wrote enough songs to make my own album. And at the risk of being overly-confident on the surface, they were awesome. Really that statement isn’t cocky at all because for the first time I realized that I was writing things that didn’t come from me. They were all obviously God-given. They were just too good to come from my limited imagination. Looking back on those, I read them and think “Wow. God, You totally taught me a lot through having my hand write these down on paper. These are amazing songs that You came up with. Thanks.” Many of them came from a hard time, whether it was my own or one I was helping a friend through.

So now, when I’m moving forward and experiencing tremendous growth under the protection and guidance of the Creator, I’m at a loss for my own creativity. I don’t remember the last time I wrote out an entire song, added music, finished it, and was happy with it. I have plenty of paper lying around here with sentence fragments and leftover one-liners that never turned into something complete. I know I can’t expect every single area of my life to be in a stage of ridiculous growth all the time, but I’m aching to write. I think this is why I’ve been writing so many blogs and continue to keep a regular journal-type deal, as well: because I need to get these things out some way. Last year my emotions went into songs. This year, it’s a blog, apparently.

I’m not complaining.
My life is in a phenomenal position right now. I’m growing in faith like I’ve never experienced before. I’m living a life that is moving towards something. I am living for something.
I should be in hell.
By the grace of God, I’m not.
Amen.

2 comments:

Robert Summers said...

I know what you mean! I miss poetry and being creative.

michael k said...

Im reading this book I borrowed from Adam (its called Visioneering). Its really good, I recommend that you check it out, I think it relates to the season that you are at right now

in the book it says how when we get a vision/purpose from God we want to just go! but sometimes the best thing to do is wait (sounds hard, I know). the book mentions the story of Nehemiah so now Im reading into that, apparently that cat was heartbroken for jerusalem but instead of jumping to save it he waited for God and allowed his vision to mature.

So maybe God wants you to wait. but youll have to just pray about that with him. all I know is that wether your creative spark is later rather than sooner I just cant wait to see what God does through you!

best friend!