November 13, 2007

may the vision of You be the death of me

My views are changing. This change is reassuring because there are so many times when I feel like I’m not growing enough and I’m too complacent with what’s surrounding me. But right now I can feel my view of the world changing. The more I read my Bible and the more I watch television, the bigger the gap between the two becomes.

The world is just terrible. Haha I really can’t think of anything else to say about it. It’s just horrible and disgusting. We’re so incredibly selfish and greedy and consuming of everything we want or think we need. We have everything we could ever hope for. We are filthy rich, and I mean filthy in every sense of the word. We squander away everything on nothing. I can’t get over it. It’s so incredibly hard for me to give things up. I love my stuff. I love my junk; everything I own. I’m so materialistic, and throughout Dominate, I’ve been thinking “what could/would I sell so that I could get more money to give to the church?” but everything I own just seems so important to me. So I’m hoping that throughout the next two years I learn to let go and get rid of some of this junk and give more than I expected to God. Anyways, this wasn’t my point.

My point is that looking at the world makes me so grateful for Jesus Christ. Because the more I see lust and sloth and greed and wastefulness and everything bad on TV and in myself and the people around me, the more I realize that Jesus came to let us know that this isn’t how it’s supposed to be. He came to turn it around. He came to make it right. He came to fight it. He came to teach us how to change, and we’re really not doing much. I don’t know…I guess we are. I feel like we as Elevators are moving because we’ve been placed in this position in this body of believers to be radical about our faith and to show people how amazing Jesus is, but on the whole, I don’t really feel like God’s word is getting out there. And I feel like this awful world has such an impact on the way people think and act.

I keep getting off track, and really the only thing I wanted to say was that seeing how damaged we can be and how corrupt the world is makes me so insanely grateful that God chose to wrap Himself up in flesh to show us the right way. I was watching the opening clip of “My Super Sweet 16” in Alli and Hillary’s room earlier, and it was so overwhelmingly...worldly that I seriously felt overcome with thankfulness that God chose to make things better than that. There's a point where you have to go “look, I hate the world, and I love my Jesus so much,” and I love realizing exactly how important He is.

1 comment:

michael k said...

hello best friend.

thanks for your help during teardown on sunday (great supervisory skills!) :)

I watched a little of that sweet 16 show and it is quite foriegn to me. I just couldnt relate with such debauchery of material. It made me feel blessed to know the Truth. All we can do Kelly is let our light shine and tell them the Truth so they can know what we know.

take care friend I'll see you around.

"Im old greg!"