November 23, 2007

They Gave Up

[No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask Him any more questions]
Matthew22:46

There are so many times in the last chapters of Matthew where the Pharisees, Sadducees, leaders and teachers spend time and energy trying to trick Jesus. They ask Him about divorce (19:3-9) and about His own authority and power (21:23-27). They ask Him about money (22:15-22) and about marriage at the resurrection (22:23-33). Finally, they ask Him whose son is the Christ. After this, they gave up. Jesus just had it so together that they couldn't bring themselves to ask anymore questions. He was so on top of His game that they gave up.

I'm never going to have answers. I get nervous talking about my faith because I'm aware a lot of things don't match up. I'm always afraid someone's going to talk to me about things and think I'm completely retarded for not making sense. I'm still really young in my faith and young in general, and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I believe. And I don't believe anything is cut in stone. I love that different people have different answers and perspectives based on who they are and where they've been. It's a comfort to hear what other people believe just because everyone is so different.

I love that Jesus knew what was going on. He had an answer (and a good one) to every single question the Pharisees could throw at Him. I highly doubt He was ever nervous about what kinds of questions they would ask Him next (and not just because He already knew they were coming). It makes me laugh that all they could do was give up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.