October 14, 2007

everything was beautiful

last night i went to a mauldin high school football game
and i LOVED it.
i love high school football (no matter how freaking terrible our team is. last night ended 41-7, i think. amazing).
i love going back to my high school and seeing my old teachers and old coaches and people still going there. i've said before that i place a lot of sentimental value on things. i mean it.
i have plenty of friends who can't stand going back.

and i have friends who will never escape.
i loved high school. i love visiting. but you could not pay me enough money to relive it.
i'll visit, but i won't let myself get stuck in the past, even though it's really easy to.

high school was great. it was easy. it was fun. i had a lot more friends than i feel like i do now. i could walk down the hall and say hey to like 20 people and feel good and love my teachers and feel smart and be confident and get solos and do talent shows and score goals. i did well in the things i wanted to do well in.

but i can't get stuck there.
because i've grown up. a lot. a whole lot. and i want to continue growing up. and i will.

see, constantly looking into the past and longing for what we used to have and used to be hinders us a great deal. and God calls us to greater things that sitting around daydreaming about stuff that doesn't exist anymore. He doesn't call us to live in the future daydreaming about things we have no control over, either. but that's for another time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed high school and middle school as well. In great part, I think, to the people I had around me. I can't go visit quite as easily though...since it's in northern Maine. :)