January 17, 2008

You took my heavy heart and made it light

Last night was a major experience for me. I started off the night in a pretty unhappy mood, worrying about how much needs to change in me and how long it's going to take and how much I desperately need God to move in my heart right now. I ended the night at almost 5 this morning, sitting across from my amazing roommate (who has a far more detailed account of last night on her blog than I will present here) thinking about how phenomenally Jesus presents Himself and His love to us.

The general rundown of the last 13 hours goes as follows:
1am: Jennica sees a strange person waving at her to come down and play in the snow with his group of friends. She mistakes him at first for someone she knows, so we decide to investigate. We bundle up, head downstairs, initially get threatened by snowballs to the face which are quickly replace with a snowball flower as a peace offering, I guess. After frolicking on our own for a while and taking some pictures, we head back towards the Nance and meet up with these same guys, who invite us to go on a small adventure with them in the fresh snow. How can you not oblige to that as a college sophomore who totally wants to be 7 years old again?
2am: We find ourselves on the steepest hill around Winthrop using cafeteria trays and abandoned cardboard to launch ourselves into snow. Standing on top of this hill, we started to get to know these guys better and find out that most of them major in some form of arts and are all Christians. Pretty amazing people, not to mention hilarious.
3am: We travel to the house of Stephen and Jared (I think) and get some much needed hot chocolate and warm socks and heat. We spend the next hour or so talking and laughing and learning about each other a little bit.
4:14am: We finally get a ride back to the Nance, where Jen and I both immediately sat down to write about it. I decided though that I didn't like last night's post. So here I am today.

I was thinking about it more today, and I realized that last night was such a fantastic example of people who are living as an example of Christ's love. It was the also the most random example of His love that I've ever encountered. But these people immediately took us in to roam around a campus covered in white (which was something that put both Jennica and I in giddy little girl modes). They immediately opened up themselves and a little bit of their faith to us. They immediately opened up their house to us and gave us hot chocolate and warm socks (I'm serious. Those socks were probably the biggest blessing of the night). I especially feel this way because I know what kind of mood I was in before I met them. For some reason last night I felt more like a sinner than usual. Like a failure. Like nothing worthy of the kind of Love Jesus offers. But then there are these people who don't even care that you're struggling with something, because they can relate to you, so they love you anyways. They could care less that I had spent the previous 2 hours crying in my room. They could care less that I am imperfect and broken. I don't even know if they did it intentionally, but they showed a tremendous amount of Love through actions, rather than words, and it completely reshaped my night. I'm so grateful that God works in ways that we could never think of. He moves in mystery and promises that He knows what He's doing and that there is always Love and forgiveness available in places like a snowy college campus or a warm, small house.

No comments: