January 5, 2008

Better late than never.

I know we're 5 days into the New Year, but I saw this on Lindsey's blog and felt like it could be okay. Plus, I feel like we've all been on a small blogging hiatus (with the exception of Phillip, who seems to be the most consistent blogger within Elevation). So here we are:

1. List five happy memories of 2007.
-My entire summer spent working as a 3rd grade counselor at the YMCA in Greenville. I learned so much from those kids, and I believe if God hadn't called me back to Greenville for the summer, I would not have realized how much I'm in love with children and I would not have come back to Elevation and thrown myself into Ekidz.
-Getting to serve in Elevation's worship ministry. Ever since I've been at this church, I've wanted to be a significant part of our worship experiences. After a year of sending in demos and waiting, I finally got to be a part of it, and it is one of the most energizing and exciting things I will ever take part in.
-Going through my first experience of clearly hearing something that God was telling me to do and doing exactly so. It was hard and parts of it sucked, but God taught me a lot through that. I'm hoping I can get better at hearing and understanding Him.
-My trip to Hawaii with my family this summer. To me, nothing compares to this place. The funny part is that I think my favorite part of the whole trip was actually the plane ride because it reminded me that no matter how many clouds we can see from the ground, there is always brilliant blue sky waiting above them.
-The assembly of my entourage. I've never met a group of people quite like the ones surrounding me right now. God has strategically placed each one of us in this place and time, and I think we're doing a beautiful job of loving and serving each other. The past 3 or 4 months as a whole have been one giant happy memory.

2. Describe four things you’ve learned this year.
-Not to rely on material things and people. I'm actually in the process of learning right now that God is number one. It seems like that would be obvious, but we forget He's first all the time, not just when we run out of other options. Everything else around me can fail, but He is always there.
-Reading the Bible is absolutely 100% imperative in keeping a good relationship with God. When I stop reading for a while, I start feeling dead, and when I open my Bible after a long break from it, I literally feel like I'm going to start breathing again.
-Do not make definitive statements because that's when God likes to remind you that you have no idea what you're talking about.
-You need good people in your life, and you NEED to cut the bad ones out. What people speak into your life directly affects the way you see yourself and your life. The ones who speak hate and despair into it are worth nothing to you. The ones who speak encouragement and hope are a direct gift from God.

3. Which three relationships in your life have changed the most this year?
-Javy. This kid and I have a rollercoaster relationship that will never be figured out. It's been hard to judge when things were supposed to work out and when everything should have just ended.
-Jennica. From thinking that each of us hated the other to living together...Jen, I love you and look up to you so much. I'm so incredibly excited to be living with you this semester. I know that our relationship is going to continue to change this semester, and I think that God has vast amounts of jank to teach me through you.
-My stepfamily and dad. Somehow we're all able to sit down and talk a little bit about God. It's not much, but I feel like I'm doing a little better at being a witness to them. I would give anything to see the four of them really honestly come to Christ. I know God is using me in their lives, and I hope I'm doing okay.

4. Name two new places you went this year.
-Elevation church offices...haha
-Concord? I'm sorry, this one was hard for me. I don't think I've been anywhere new this year, but I'm at a point where if these two places are enough for me, I'm happy.

5. What one thing you’ve done this year are you most proud of?
-I've learned how to keep my worship from being conditional. It's taken a long time. I used to use Elevation as a filler every Sunday. I used to think I was worshiping at Elevation and not anywhere else. I used to be a very conditional worshiper. Something changed this year, and I can say that I'm fully aware that God is present everywhere in my life: physically and metaphorically. I'm not really proud of myself, but proud of the fact that I finally let Him break through me and teach me something bigger than what I knew before.

No comments: