December 18, 2007

throw off your prison chains

When I was a junior and senior in high school, I had a core group of girls around me. Formerly known as "the Senior girls...and Kelly," even when they went to college. These are the girls that first invited me to a new church, were there with me when I was saved, and pushed me through to understand what it meant to be a Christian and how to actually live it. I loved these girls with my life, and I still love them but I'm realizing that somehow I don't know anything about them. We've all changed a lot in the past 2 or 3 years, so that might have something to do with it. In reality, I'm pretty sure that there were always things (what I consider really important things) that I just never knew about them.



People are always going to have secrets. I understand that. There are just some bits of information that probably will never be shared, but I don't understand when people you consider your best friends choose to hide the most important details of their lives from you. I really strongly believe that we are supposed to rely on God first and foremost but that He gave us friends and siblings for a reason and that we are meant to share our burdens with each other. I guess that's why I'm really open with people. Every single one of my friends has a different perspective, and I can learn something from every one of them. I can solve my problems better with your outlook on them. And if I consider you a close friend, I wouldn't want you to find out something that I had been holding back and think "Wow...that totally changes how I see her. I wish I could've known that because I'd probably understand her a little better."

I could just be bitter that I feel left out, but I'd probably understand "my girls" better if they chose to share their lives with me like I thought they had been doing. I'm not asking for what they think every second of every day; I'm just realizing that a lot of people are one way on the surface (which is fantastic), but they can also hide a lot of things that make them who they really are (who can be equally fantastic, but insanely different).

No comments: