December 20, 2007

Resources (2)

Today's resource: PEOPLE!!!

I never realized until this year, in these past couple of months, how important the people in my life are. Specifically through Elevation, God has put some phenomenal people in my life who teach me, love me and serve with me. The ones that I'm closest to are anywhere from 14 to 25 years old, and every single one of them has taught me something I could not have learned on my own.

Something I've really been focusing on lately is perspective. I think it's really important to look at a situation from every angle. If you've met me, you've probably picked up on the fact that I talk a lot...a LOT. Because the more I talk about a problem I'm working through, the more likely I am to solve it quickly. And if I'm talking to you about a problem of mine, it's because I desperately need a perspective other than my own in order to solve it. And I've really found recently that getting these other perspectives gets me through the problems fast, which is a great thing. I feel like I say this a lot, but I really strongly believe it: God put us on the earth with billions of other people for a reason. The community you have around you is so imporant. The people who speak into your life have the power to teach you so many things you might not have learned on your own.

Recently, I got out of a relationship. While this guy's first response was ridiculously negative, it's been three months, and apparently he's at the point where he's okay to be friends with me. While this is fine, I'm well aware that this is the time where I need to guard my heart. I have a ton of great people who get access to me and my heart and my emotions, and I don't think that this person should all of a sudden get that same access. These people have chosen to speak love, strength and encouragement to me. They have been an amazing resource to me, teaching me about God's love and helping me understand Him and His word and His people better. I'm confident that these same people are going to continue to teach me how to protect myself so that I can grow in Him without getting distracted.

Example: I have two bibles: one NIV and one Message Remix. A lot of times, when I don't understand something in one version, I read the same passage in the other because the different wording of it helps me understand it better. The people who surround you are an incredible resource. They give different views and perspectives and teach you things that you might not have been able to see on your own.

TheEnd.

[Next resources: leaders (kind of like people)
and experiences.

No comments: