December 12, 2007

I'm too tired to make sense

For me, it seems that when I'm oblivious to something, I am really oblivious to it. But once that something is finally revealed to me, it's like a freaking elephant in the room ,and all of a sudden everything about it escalates and I'm swallowed by it (not the elephant, the problem).

Case in point: my grandma was recently diagnosed with dementia and Alzheimer's and all that jank. I'm sure her brain had been going through whatever process this is for a long time. She finally had to stop driving a couple months ago, and that was right before the actual diagnosis. What's weird to me is that she didn't seem to start really spiralling down until she was actually told she had Alzheimer's. So I have two theories for that. Either:

1. She didn't really understand that it was happening. So when the doctor told her she was actually suffering from a disease, she let it win and consume her and she stopped resisting whatever had been confusing her for the past months or years or whatever. or
2. My family and I didn't understand what was happening. So when the doctor told us she was actually suffering from a disease, we stopped ignoring it. So where she might have been just as bad before, we only noticed it beause it was pointed out to us.

When I slip up or do something ridiculously dumb, a lot of times I don't notice. Even if I get hurt or offended by it, I'd so much rather have someone point out my mistakes instead of letting me go making them. Unfortunately, once that mistake is pointed out, I tend to freak out because I realize how much in the past I've really committed that same sin. I may not have noticed (or I may have made a really small deal out if it and ignored it to the best of my ability), so when it's finally pointed out to me, I freak out and get really embarassed at how much in the past I've let detrimental habits form patterns.

Lately, my grandma's confusion and loss is so completely noticeable, but it wasn't until she was officially diagnosed with Alzheimer's. And looking back, there were a lot of instances that should have led us to take her to the doctor a long time ago. Looking back, we wonder why we didn't take action and fix the problem so much sooner. But at this point, all we can do is keep moving and adapt to what's fallen on us.
I was listening to the "Confessions of a Pastor" series and Pastor talked about going to his counselor, and he said roughly: we look back on our lives and see our mistakes and repeated sins, and we think back dramatically on how terrible we were. What we need to focus on is that who we are now, who we've grown to be, is better than who we used to be.
My grandma herself is going to get worse, but at least we know why she's suffering and confused and we can help her adapt and be comfortable. I used to do so many horrible things; I still get a lot wrong, but I'm learning from my mistakes and moving forward.

[I also want to say that I officially started this post at 11:49pm and it is now 1:15am when I'm finally done writing it. So if it doesn't make sense...that's why]

No comments: