July 19, 2008

Identity

This has been a really strange summer for me. It's my first summer outside of Greenville and sort of on my own. It's also my first time being somewhat homeless. That's the most interesting part. Thankfully we move in this Thursday (sort of...I guess we start moving in Thursday), but so far this summer Bradelyn, Jennica and I have been living in other people's houses or making extra trips home to have somewhere to stay. It's been an interesting time and I'm definitely ready to move into a permanent house that I can call home.

In the beginning, house-hopping was fine. I have plenty of generous people in my life who provide shelter over my head, and I'm very thankful for the family I've been staying with. However, in the midst of jumping around and living in houses that aren't mine, I'm facing a small struggle with identity. I realized it yesterday when I was about to drive home to Greenville. I wasn't sure if I felt good about going home, but I didn't necessarily want to stay where I was, but I didn't necessarily feel like I wanted to be anywhere else. So I'm realizing that this is the time where I need to make sure that I don't find my identity in a place or a group of people. I can't start feeling lost just because I don't have a permanent place to live. I have to remember that my identity is always in Christ and no matter where I go or where I live, I will always be His.

No comments: