May 5, 2008

Here I am to Worship. Just Worship.

I think it's safe to say that doing background vocal stuff on Sunday mornings is my favorite way to serve at church. I love singing, and I love being on stage. However, I know it's really easy for me to get caught up in being on stage in front of people and forget about focusing entirely on worship. The hardest part is making sure I'm not focused on the actual singing and how good I want to sound or how the harmony blends or how loud I am.
This week I experienced exactly what my job is on Sunday mornings when I'm on stage. For warm-up, run through and all 4 services at Providence, my microphone was basically inaudible (don't ask why I didn't get it fixed). It might have been on a little bit. Maybe not; I really don't know. It doesn't matter. My point is that there was absolutely no point in me being on stage yesterday in terms of singing because no one heard me. But when I consider what my "job" is on Sunday mornings -- to simply worship and encourage and lead others to worship a phenomenal God -- I did exactly what I needed to.
There are times when I get so caught up in singing. I love singing and I feel like it's one of the most active gifts God has given me (as in, I use it and people see it and it's a working gift). I know I'm good at it, too. I'm glad yesterday was a lesson in humility for me in that. I'm glad that God uses us on Sunday mornings for more than just superficial showboating. And I'm glad that he can use low microphone volume to teach me a lesson in what it means to help lead worship.

No comments: