May 20, 2008

Baby Steps

In James 3, it talks about taming the tongue. I think one of the first and most helpful things I could do to submit myself back to God would be to tame my tongue. This involves cursing, yelling, fighting, gossiping, etc.

The most interesting part I see in this is:
With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have een made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? [James 3:9-11]

We find it really easy to praise God, and we find it really easy to badmouth each other. One of the things my girls and I talked about tonight in small group is how people make "noise" by acting and claiming that they are Christians and turning around to gossip and talk about things they probably shouldn't be talking about. So instead of building each other up to become one body worshiping God, we create "noise" that tears us apart.

Step one: tame the tongue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Something good to hear at this time of the school year when I'm feeling quite used and just want to vent. :)