April 4, 2008

You See Weakness, I See Strength

So it's pretty obvious that I'm emotional (as Jennica so kindly pointed out last night by asking "But Kelly...what doesn't make you cry?" Thanks for reminding me, roomie).
Anyways, I was thinking today about who I was before I chose to live for Jesus. I was pretty normal, I think. I was emotional, but I think a lot of that was just because I was a girl coming out of middle school with divorced parents (and a dad who moved on far too quickly, in my opinion) and a brother who didn't exactly want to be my best friend. I was the normal kind of emotional. The kind that most girls go through and grow out of...or at least they learn how to hide it.
What I realized, though, is that most of my emotional-ness comes out of my decision to follow Christ. Yeah, I was emotional before, but since being saved, it's picked up a bit. And what this tells me is that it's a characteristic of myself that is in me for a very specific reason. It's something that God chose to build in me. It only makes sense to me, then, that this trait would be heightened once I chose to live for Him.

This is something that I've been struggling with for a while, and I'll probably struggle with it for the rest of my life: trying to tone down my emotions and keep them in control without burying and hiding the fact that they are built into me very intentionally by my Maker. For now, I'll stay reassured that (since they've only gotten stronger as my walk with God has progressed) they are within me for a reason and hopefully they will only help me in pursuing the heart of my God.

No comments: